Guidance for Tenants




Wilsons Lettings Ltd. has a wide range of flats, apartments and houses to let in Rhos-on-Sea, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Conwy and in the rural surroundings along the A55 corridor. Our efficient letting procedure and dedicated customer service ensure that we provide tenants with the best possible letting experience.

Application Fees

The ‘Renting Homes (Fees etc.) (Wales) Act 2019’ comes into effect on the 1st September 2019. From this date, prospective Tenants will not be charged a fee for referencing or administration in respect of a rental property. The only payments a Landlord/Agent will ask a Tenant to make are ‘Permitted Payments’.

These are as follows:-

  • Rent
  • Security Deposit
  • Holding Deposit
  • Payments in Default
  • Payments in respect of council tax
  • Payments in respect of utilities
  • Payments in respect of a television licence
  • Payments in respect of communication services

The ‘Act’ bans Prohibited Payments.

A ‘Payment in default’ is a payment required by the Landlord or Agent arising from a breach of the tenancy agreement by the tenant, whether late payment of rent by its due date or some other breach. For a more exhaustive list please contact your Agent.

Credit Cards
Countryside Property

Pre Selection of Properties

All our properties are available to view in our office. Once you have decided which you wish to view then either phone us on 01492 543111 to make an appointment or send us an email to


All persons over the age of 18 and residing at the property as their main residence will need to be referenced. Our referencing is carried out by an independent professional referencing company and includes all the personal, credit and employment checks you would expect to be undertaken to verify your ability to act as a responsible tenant capable of meeting their commitments as set out in the tenancy agreement.


In certain cases a Guarantor must be provided at the start of the tenancy and the same or a replacement must remain guaranteeing the tenancy for as long as it continues. The Guarantor must also complete an application form and be referenced.


Before or when you move into the property, you will need to pay the long term security deposit which is equivalent to one month’s rent. Our office will advise the exact amount in relation to your proposed property. All deposits received by an agent or Landlord on any Assured Shorthold Tenancy must by Law be protected in one of the three schemes authorized by the Government for this purpose. You will be advised which scheme your deposit is to be held in as part of the tenancy completion process and given full details of the scheme in case of any disputes over how the deposit should be allocated at the end of the tenancy.
Tenants Deposit
Moving in to a Property

Moving In

Appointments to move into the property can only take place during office hours and on the day of moving into your property. Before check in we require clear funds of both rent and deposit (equal to one month’s rent) preferably paid via bank payment. These details will be confirmed with receipt of the tenancy agreement. Please also note that in order to avoid embarrassment and additional costs under no circumstances will tenants be checked into a property unless and until all necessary fees and payments have been paid in full and by way of cleared funds and all tenants are able to sign the necessary legal documentation before the legal commencement of the tenancy i.e. taking up authorised occupancy.

Checking into the Property

The check-in will take place at the property where the inventory will also be agreed and signed and all meters read. Tenants are also advised that although BT points and TV aerial or cable points may be present, there is no guarantee they are ‘live’ and it is the Tenants responsibility to make these active if attention is needed to them. One set of keys will be handed over and if you require extra keys this must be advised, they will be cut at your expense and must be handed back to Wilsons Lettings Ltd. when you vacate the property.

The Tenancy Agreement

The Tenancy Agreement will be drawn up for a period of time agreed with you, though the initial term will usually be 6 or 12 months. Provided the tenancy has been conducted satisfactorily and if your Landlord is prepared to renew or extend your tenancy at the end of the initial fixed period you may be offered either a Renewal Tenancy or your Tenancy can go Periodic. Depending on the Landlord’s instructions to us we will discuss this with you.
Checking into the Property
Family on the Beach

Who may occupy the Property?

Only those named on the tenancy agreement as tenants and members of those tenants immediate family may occupy the property. The tenancy may not be transferred to any other third party.

Responsibilities during the Tenancy

Unless specifically agreed otherwise in writing, the tenants are responsible for payment of all utilities/services at the property and this includes Gas, Electricity, Oil, Coal, Water and Sewage charges, Council Tax, Telephone/Internet charges, TV Licence and any charges associated with the usage of cable or satellite television. You are responsible for keeping the property and its contents in a clean and tidy condition, including the regular upkeep of any garden. You as a tenant are responsible for replacing “everyday consumables” such as: light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and starters, vacuum cleaner bags, batteries for doorbells or smoke detectors or remote handsets etc. You must not carry out any redecoration to the property or put nails in walls etc., without specific written permission, and you must not carry out unauthorised repairs, except in an emergency. The property and contents must be thoroughly cleaned at the end of the tenancy.

When You Can Leave

Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract; it is for a fixed duration and you cannot give notice to vacate before the expiry date. Tenants must give their notice in accordance with the tenancy agreement and the Law relating to a tenant’s ability to give notice. Please contact us at the earliest opportunity if you have a problem and need to leave early or you are unsure of what the required legal procedures are for you to give correct notice to end your tenancy. We will arrange to meet you at the property to carry out the check-out, verify the condition of the property, against the inventory and read the meters. You will be required to return all sets of keys at this meeting; you will be charged on a daily basis until all keys and possession are surrendered. You must be ready to leave the property; all of your personal effects and your furniture must be removed and items belonging to the property must be returned to it’s original position. If your property has been professionally cleaned prior to your moving in we may charge you for a professional clean when you vacate.
Leaving the Property
Deposit Agreement

Deposit Return

If your tenancy was an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and if the deposit is registered with the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) scheme as referred to previously then we will need to agree any deductions with you and then both you and the landlord (or ourselves on their behalf) are required to sign a form confirming your mutual agreement to any such deductions. The deposit can then be paid out accordingly. You will receive much more information from us on this within 14 days of paying your deposit, but please note if a dispute arises between landlord and tenant then none of the deposit can be released until either the matter is resolved and the necessary form signed or else the dispute has been referred to the DPS scheme Administrator or the Courts and an independent decision on apportionment of the deposit has been reached. In everyone’s best interests and we would therefore urge your cooperation at the end of the tenancy in order to agree any such deductions.

Contents Insurance

Tenants are advised to have their own contents insurance for their personal possessions. These items will not be covered by the Landlord’s insurance if the property is broken into or subjected to flooding, fire etc. However more importantly having a tenant’s contents policy will enable you to cover the Landlord’s goods against accidental damage by you and will also provide you with Public Liability cover which is essential should a substantial claim ever be made against you. Neither Wilsons Lettings Ltd. nor your landlord can accept any liability for a tenant’s failure to have their personal possessions fully insured, protection against accidental damage to the Landlord’s goods, or a lack of Public Liability cover.

Payment of Rent

Your tenancy agreement is a legally binding document which requires you to pay the rent in full in cleared funds on the rent due dates usually by standing order.


One set of keys and an extra set of front door key(s) will be issued on the commencement of the tenancy. You are responsible for ensuring the property is secure and locked at all times when no one is home. Wilsons Lettings Ltd. retain a set of front door keys.
Fire Safety
Repairs & Maintenance

Repairs & Maintenance

If you experience any problem with either the structure or contents (provided by the landlord) of the property, please contact our office immediately during office hours on 01492 543111 and we will arrange for one of our approved contractors to investigate the problem. In certain circumstances, and normally where any work required is substantial, either in terms of cost or magnitude, it may be necessary to obtain more than one quotation from contractors, or to instruct a surveyor to assess the nature of the problem so that it can be resolved effectively. If a contractor attends to a problem that the tenant has reported and the fault is due to lack of care or misuse, the tenant will be charged for the cost of putting it right.

Utility, Telephone, Broadband, Media Providers and Council Tax

It is the tenant’s responsibility to arrange for the transfer of utility, telephone, broadband, Media providers and council tax accounts into their name.

Maintaining the Property

The tenant is responsible for normal household maintenance at the property just as if they owned the property instead of renting it. Normal day to day occurrences happen as a result of living in a property whether it is owned or rented, and so issues such as replacing light bulbs, cleaning windows, cutting lawns, maintaining hedges and borders, keeping all guttering and drains clear from leaves and blockages, the removal of such pests as fleas, ants, wasps, etc. and any other tasks have been ruled as being normal household management and therefore tenant responsibility.

If there is a garden with your property you must keep it in good seasonal order. You must not uproot established trees and shrubs and you must not remove lawns as already laid at the commencement of your tenancy.

Inspections-Periodical Visits

Visits may be carried out on the property by our staff at any time, but the tenant will be notified of the time and date of the proposed visit, and have the option of being present.

Mowing the Grass
Gas Appliance

Gas Appliances

By law the landlord must comply with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and subsequent associated legislation. The landlord must have all gas systems, appliances and flues checked at least every 12 months by a GAS SAFE registered engineer. These regulations do not apply to gas appliances owned by tenants for example a gas cooker. The tenant will be provided with a copy of the gas safety certificate provided by the inspecting engineer. Tenant decorations and alterations Landlords want their properties to be treated as the tenants own home. However, the landlord’s consent must be obtained prior to any redecoration or alterations being carried out. Failure to comply with this may result in you being charged the cost of returning the property to its original condition at the end of your tenancy.

Lost Keys

If a tenant loses house keys, whatever the circumstances, they are responsible for the cost of replacement and the cost of having additional sets cut is to be borne by the tenant. If a lock change is required as a result of the tenant losing a key they will be charged the cost of the lock change. If the tenant occupies a flat in a block which has a common entrance door key they will also be charged the cost of providing all occupiers in the block with new keys. It is the responsibility of the tenant, to repair and/or re-glaze any windows or glazing broken at the property.


Wilsons Lettings Ltd

Established in 2007 – Serving the Conwy area for over 13 years

01492 543111

Wilsons Lettings Ltd
27a Rhos Road
Conwy. LL28 4RS